This is the Will of me James Parchment of Springfield Essex Gentleman
1. I appoint my Wife Mary Parchment my Nephew Samuel Parchment and my ? William Baker Douglas? of Chelmsford Essex gentleman and Solomon Harting ? of inbor? Street Chelmsford aforesaid ? ? Executors and trustees of this my Will.
2. I give the following ? payable on my death To my Wife Mary Parchment fifty pounds, to my three nephews Samuel Parchment William Parchment and James Parchment ten pounds each To the said Solomon Jaeding ? if he acts in the execution of this my will five pounds I give to my said Wife all ? articles and stores in my ? at my death.
3. I give to Mary Ann Simons now the wife of Richard Simons after the death of my said wife my pair of silver sugar tongs marked ?, my silver teaspoons marked ? and my two silver tablespoons marked? I give all my wearing apparel and ? tools and my watch with its apprubages? unto my nephew Samuel Parchment absolutely.
4 I ? that my said Wife shall have the lot? during her life but not a disposing power over all my household furniture books plate linen ? and ?stir efforts and that an directory? therof shall be taken on my death and be signed by my wife ??? by my other executors and upon the death of my said wife the same subject as aforesaid shall be sold and form part of my general residuary personal estate.
5. I ? my present dwelling house ?? in Randulph Terrace in Springfield aforesaid with the with the yards ? and? ??? unto my said Wife during her life my estate keeping the ? in repair and Insured?
6. I ? and empower my executors or other the trustees or trustee for the time being acting in the execution of this my will to absolutely bargain sell and dispose of all my ? estate as soon as conveniently may be after my death and the net proceeds arising therefrom shall shift into and form part of my general residuary personal estate.
7. I ? all my real estate whatsoever and whosoever except ? unto my said executors and their heirs ........... but subject nevertheless as to the promises ? to my said Wife as aforesaid to her life estate therein
8. I bequeath all the residue of my personal estate and effects of every sort and description unto my said executors ? trust in the first place to pay out of such part therof as shall not consist of Gas Shares my ? funeral probate restaurutary and executorship expenses and subject thereto ? ...........
9. I declare that my said executors or other the trustees or trustee for the time being of this my will shall stand ? and? of all the real and personal estate property and effects and in ? everything ... and by the seventh and eigth paragraphs of this my will and also of the ? before.. to form part of my general residuary personal estate all which real and personal estate property effects things and moneys are hereinafter ? as my estate and property I ? the trusts following, that is to say, to ? the entire income arising from my estate and and property and apply the ? as follows, viz..To pay to my said Wife during her life for her separate use out of ? as shall not arise from my Gas Shares hereinafter mentioned the sum of fifty two pounds per annum by my ......unreadable... without ..... ? Gas Company purchased by me previously to July 1869 or from the moneys into which the same may either before or after my death be reinvested and subject in every respect to the foregoing provisions made in favor of my said wife. To divide the income arising from my estate and property into three equal shares and as to out of such shares to pay the same to my nephew the said Samuel Parchment during his life and after his death to any wife he leave during her life for her separate use and after the death of the survivor .....fold in page!..............may from time to time be living, equally until the death of the survivor of my 3 nephews the said Samuel Parchment, William Parchment and James Parchment and their respective heirs and my said Wife Mary Parchment when my estate and property will ? salvable? and Convertible? and as to out other of such ? ? of income to pay the same to my said nephew William Parchment and his wife and Children in exactly the same way as I have hereinbefore directed concerning my said nephew Samuel's share and as to the remaining out this share of such income to pay the same to my said nephew James Parchment and his Wife and Children in exactly the same way as I have herein before directed concerning my said nephew' Samuels' share .But that if either of my said 3 nephews shall die without leaving any child or children or leaving such all or the only out shall die before the death of the survivor of my 3 said nephews and their....fold in page!.......... death of the wife of that Nephew so dying the out third share of income to which his child or children would otherwise be entitled shall be paid to such of the children of the others or other of my said 3 nephews equally as shall from time to time be living. And I declare and direct that from and immediately after the death of the the survivor of them my said .....
10. For better occurring my said Wife's annuity of fifty pounds I charge the same on all my
11. I confer upon my executors or other the trustees or trustee for the time being of this my Will all statutory powers and especially the following for quantity? To repair and invest my property To appoint a suitable to ?? and allow him the usual remuneration To engage and pay a fit person to keep the executorship and trust amounts under this my will and to retain a reasonable allowance for ? of time.
15. Something about holding security from Mr & Mrs Ellis of Ehigual St James
I revoke all former wills ......November 1872.
Proved at London 26th March 1874 by the Oaths of Mary Parchment Widow the ? Samuel Parchment the Nephew and Solomon Darbing? all three of the Executors to whom Abuion? was granted . William baker Douglas the other executor having renounced probate and execution of Will.
I have been unable to read/decipher much of this document. There is probably still more I could transcribe, but no more legible concerning his nephews. But, it would seem that the 3 nephews and their descendants received equal shares of his estate in perpetuity. What I do not know is how much of the £3000 was in a form to benefit the nephews. All 3 of them died [Samuel in1885, William in 1881 & James in 1873,1 month after his uncle but before the will was proved] before Mary, James' widow, died in 1896!!. But their children should have continued to benefit from the inheritance. And, 2011, GL has just informed me that Samuel's widow, who died 1908, did leave a considerable sum of money, that seems not to have been discovered by her son Alfred until 1932. But when he died in 1934 he did not leave much- but maybe he only received a fraction/part of the sum. Follow up!. There is no indication of this money in the post 1896 lives of the 6 children of my William Parchment. Try deciphering the Will again -2012!! Also scan Will